GREAT Scholarships offers scholarships from UK universities, across a variety of subjects for students from 14 countries including Vietnam. Each scholarship is jointly funded by the UK government’s GREAT Britain Campaign and the British Council with participating UK higher education institutions.
Each scholarship is worth a minimum of £10,000 towards tuition fees for a one-year taught postgraduate course.
Upon arriving in the UK, all GREAT scholars from 14 countries will have the opportunity to connect through a welcome event in the first semester and a networking event in the second semester.
The scholarship for the academic year 2023-24 is currently accepting applications. 200 scholarships from 49 UK universities will be awarded to eligible students from 14 countries.
GREAT Scholarships for students from Vietnam
For the 2023-24 academic year, there are six postgraduate scholarships available to Vietnamese students at the following six institutions. Please visit the university pages below for more information and how to apply:
|Courses on offer
|12 May 2023
|University of Edinburgh
|Banking, Climate Change related courses
|01 May 2023
|University of East Anglia
|31 May 2023
|University of Hull
|31 May 2023
|University of Westminster
|19 June 2023
|University of Stirling
|Climate Change related courses
|01 May 2023
Note: To be considered for the GREAT Scholarship 2023, you will need to have applied for and received an offer of study on a postgraduate taught degree programme at one of the above universities.
British Council Vietnam will organise a webinar introducing GREAT 2023 Scholarship with the attendance of UK university representatives and previous GREAT scholars.
Time: 16.00–17.30 (Vietnam local time), 6 January 2023
- General introduction about GREAT Scholarship and universities offering scholarships to Vietnamese students for the academic year 2023–2024
- Experience sharing from with GREAT scholars
Platform: Microsoft Teams (link will be sent to participants two days before the event)
To join the webinar and have your questions answered by representatives from British Council Vietnam and participating universities, please register here.
What are we looking for in a GREAT scholar?
GREAT scholars must:
- be a citizen of Vietnam
- have an undergraduate degree, be motivated, and have an interest in the proposed subject area
- meet the English language requirement of the UK HEI
- establish an engagement with the UK as a scholar, through personal and academic fulfilment
- be willing to attend a networking event of all UK based GREAT scholars, to discuss experiences and capture perceptions of studying in the UK
- be willing to maintain contact with the British Council and their HEI and act as an ambassador for the GREAT Scholarships
- as an alumnus of the GREAT Scholarships, be willing occasionally to speak to potential candidates about his or her own experience of studying in the UK.
How to apply
- Visit the university page above to find out more information and then follow the link through to the university's website
- Apply for individual scholarships following the instructions given on each universities’ scholarship webpages
- The deadline to apply for a GREAT Scholarship varies according to each institution. For details on individual institutions’ deadlines, please see the institution page
- Successful scholars will be informed by individual universities on the result of their applications
- Scholarship funding will be issued to successful scholars by individual universities after registration.