Complex problems such as climate change cannot be addressed from the perspective of one discipline alone. Researcher Links Climate Challenge (RLCC) grants are designed to provide financial support to grantees to host virtual research workshops with participants from the UK and partner countries to work on innovative solutions to development challenges caused by climate change as. The partnerships will involve lead applicants taking an interdisciplinary approach by bringing together early career researchers from different fields to work on existing challenges in partner countries. Eleven grants have been funded through this programme, linking the UK with Viet Nam, South Africa, Indonesia, Pakistan, Brazil and Egypt.
The collaborations are between early career researchers on the following:
- Community integration with weather-related hazard adaption and mitigation in Viet Nam - a collaboration between the British Geological Survey and the Viet Nam Institute of Geo-sciences and Mineral Resources
- Investigating the effects of climate change on malaria for urgent action to combat climate change with reference to COP26 priorities – a collaboration between the University of Liverpool and the University of Pretoria
- Delivering a battery revolution - reducing the drivers of climate change in Indonesia – a collaboration between Queen Mary University of London and BATAN National Nuclear Energy Agency, Indonesia
- Transforming policy and practice towards agroecological transitions for resilient and just food and farming systems in a changing climate – a collaboration between the Coventry University - Centre for Agroecology, Water & Resilience (CAWR) and University of Cape Town (UCT) - Department of Environmental and Geographical Science
- Development of climate change resilience in Pakistan through Textile Circular Economy (TEXONOMY) – a collaboration between Northumbria University and Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS)
- Empowering Traditional Communities in the Brazilian Coastal Zone to Adapt to the Climate Crisis – a collaboration between The Manchester Metropolitan University and Federal University of Alagoas (Universidade Federal de Alagoas), Brazil
- Delivering a Sustainable Energy Transition for Pakistan – a collaboration between the University of Glasgow and the Lahore University of Management Sciences
- Sustainable and Healthy Food Environment for Children: the Potential of School Meals – a collaboration between Brunel University London and Instituto Goncalo Moniz, Fiocruz Bahia, Brazil
- Reduction of climate change impact on flood risk in urban areas – a collaboration between the University of Greenwich and Universitas Indonesia
- Addressing Marine Plastic Waste as a Climate Change Adaptation Priority in Indonesia – a collaboration between Bangor University and the Centre of Sustainable Energy an Resources Management (CSERM) Universitas National, Indonesia
- Climate Resilience of Micro and small and medium industrial workplaces in Egypt: A future fit to retrofit - a collaboration between University College London and the American University of Cairo.