Without Stars and There We Have Been, two dance productions which were inspired by Haruki Murakami’s novel Norwegian Wood, will be performed in Vietnam on 22, 25 and 26 October. Organised by the British Council Vietnam, this is part of the East Asia tour of the acclaimed James Cousins dance company.
James Cousins and his dancers will hit the Youth Theatre in Hanoi in a one-night-only show on 22 October; they will then bring their productions to IDECAF stage on 25 and 26..
Without Stars and There We Have Been are two touching and emotionally charged pieces of work with intense folding, wrapping and balancing. They were created based on the inspiration from the troubled relationships beautifully portrayed in the novel Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. Below is how There We Have Been was beautifully reviewed by Laura Dodge for Londondance.com.
“In low lighting, dancer the female dancer was held constantly off the floor by her male partner. She was supported through all manner of poses from high leg extensions to seated embraces and wrapping her body around her companion.
“Always progressing fluidly but with varying speed of movement, the couple’s relationship was open to infinite viewer interpretations, but the female’s dependence on the male was unrelenting. The piece reached a haunting end as the female fragile figure hovered in the air, gesturing towards her partner and he walked away, finally free.
“It was simply one of the most stunning contemporary dance pieces I have ever seen. So mesmerising, its 20-minute length passed by in what seemed like seconds.”
Cherry Gough, Country Director, British Council Vietnam said: ‘We’re delighted to be bringing the best of British contemporary dance to Vietnamese audiences. James Cousins is a graduate of the London School of Contemporary Dance, and is widely considered to be one of the brightest new stars of contemporary dance in the UK. We hope audiences in Vietnam will be both entertained and inspired by this beautiful and thought-provoking performance.’
- Time: Wednesday 22 October from 8.00 p.m. to 10.00 p.m.
- Venue: Hanoi Youth Theatre, 11 Ngo Thi Nham, Hai Ba Trung
- Tickets are VND200.000/100.000 and available to be purchased at Hanoi Youth Theatre (Hotline for booking and delivery: 04. 2.2409025) and online via Ticketbox.vn at: http://ticketbox.vn/event/contemporary-dance-without-stars-hanoi-12213
Ho Chi Minh City
Saturday 25 October from 8.00 p.m. to 10.00 p.m.
Sunday 26 October from 8.00 p.m. to 10.00 p.m.
- Venue: IDECAF, 31 Thai Van Lung, Dist.1
- Tickets are VND200.000/100.000 and available to be purchased at IDECAF or HCM Ballet Symphony and Orchestra (7 Cong Truong Lam Son, Dist.1) (Hotline for booking and delivery: 098 987 4517 and 0903 041959) and online via Ticketbox.vn at: