On 14 January 2022, the British Council in Viet Nam were pleased to announce the award of eight partnership projects under the Going Global Partnerships (GGP): UK–Viet Nam Partnerships for Quality and Internationalisation, with a total value of £542,000.
The eight partnership projects focus on three main priorities for higher education in both countries:
- University leadership and governance, HE Leadership for Social Inclusion and Gender Equality
- Preparing Viet Nam HE Qualifications for Future Development of TNE and International Recognition
- Toward excellence in teaching, research, innovation and knowledge transfer.
The online launch event welcomed the participation of Associate Professor Nguyen Anh Dung, Deputy Director General, Higher Education Department, Ministry of Education and Training, Ms Donna McGowan, Country Director, British Council in Viet Nam and about 80 representatives from UK and Vietnamese universities, organisations and businesses who are consortium members of the awarded partnership projects.
Opening the event, Ms Donna McGowan, Country Director of British Council in Viet Nam, stated: “The UK-Viet Nam Partnerships for Quality and Internationalisation, under the Going Global Partnerships Programme (GGP), have been developed based on Viet Nam’s higher education development priorities, the excellence and strength of the UK HE sector and key areas of mutual benefit for both countries. This initiative is outlined in the Memorandum of Collaboration (MOC) between the British Council and Ministry of Education and Training which was signed in October 2021 and which focuses on strengthening education cooperation and exchange in areas of strategic interest. We very much hope that the GGP programme will be an enabler for UK and Viet Nam higher education institutions to build long-term sustainable partnerships, to learn and share knowledge and experience and to contribute further to the internationalisation of higher education in both countries.”
Associate Professor Nguyen Anh Dung shared: “I believe universities in Viet Nam are ready to work in collaboration with partners in the UK. I hope that they will disseminate the knowledge gained from the GGP more widely to universities throughout Viet Nam. The HE Department is happy to provide support to make the partnership projects productive and fruitful.”
17 UK and 21 Vietnamese universities and organisations will be delivering the eight partnership projects until March 2024. The launch opens opportunities for UK and Viet Nam representatives of the awarded projects to share their project focus and also to encourage further collaboration and synergy between the projects for even greater impact.
Professor Raymond Lee, Associate Dean (Global Engagement), Professor of Biomechanics, University of Portsmouth said "I feel absolutely thrilled to have been awarded the Going Global Partnership grant to develop an assessment framework which will promote excellence in research and knowledge transfer in Vietnamese universities. I hope this will contribute to a sustainable knowledge-based economy and further stimulate deep collaborations between the UK and Vietnam, establishing them as key partners in the international higher education landscape."
UK-Viet Nam Partnerships for Quality and Internationalisation is part of a more comprehensive British Council programme called Going Global Partnerships, which builds stronger, more inclusive, internationally connected higher education and TVET systems.
For more information, please visit www.britishcouncil.org/going-global-partnerships
List of eight approved projects
Strand 1: University leadership and governance, HE Leadership for Social Inclusion and Gender Equality
- Inclusive Leadership and Governance Exchange - Developing a Network of Best Practice between Wales and Viet Nam
- Empowering women leadership in HE towards Digitalisation and globalisation ages
Strand 2: Preparing Viet Nam HE Qualifications for Future Development of TNE and International Recognition
- Enabling an environment of Quality for International HE Partnerships between the UK and Viet Nam – EQUIP
- Enhancing the Employability of students in the new digital transformation world
- Cross-Sector Partnerships to Improve Transnational Education and Gender Equity in Traffic Safety
Strand 3: Toward excellence in Teaching, Research, Innovation and Knowledge Transfer
- Towards excellence in research and knowledge transfer: a global partnership approach
- Social Innovation Linkages for Knowledge Exchange Network – Viet Nam (SILKEN-VIETNAM)
- Urban Resilience in Agriculture Through Highly Automated Vertical Farming in Viet Nam and the UK.